Monday 23 November 2015

Green Polish Swatchfest

Hello, hello!

So...the plan was to get this post out before the end of October, because October is Depression Awareness Month. That clearly didn't happen. Whoops! I got lazy. Really lazy, clearly. For those unaware, the colour of the Depression Awareness ribbon is green, and I do have a fondness for green. Green and purple are my two favourite colours. But I digress. Since I suffer from depression, green is an important colour for me on top of me just liking it, and October's awareness campaign is equally important. Too bad it's November now, right?

I decided to go through my stash of polish since I don't own any of a full collection and go through by colour to do several swatchfests. The first one is green, and I have twelve green polishes total. For now. That'll more than likely change in the future. Let's get on with the swatches!







Color Club: What a Shock! - Neon green with blue shimmers. Dries matte-ish which is typical of neon polishes. Two coats are fine, but three is better to get full opacity. Awesome formula, as expected from Color Club's neons since I've heard so much about them. These photos are three coats with no top coat. Seriously. This green.  It's delicious.



The Body Shop: Body Shop Green - Dark blue-based green creme. Kind of a jelly finish, depending on coat thickness, you can get away with two. I did three just for opacity's sake. This colour is definitely the logo colour for The Body Shop. They got it spot on. I was a little surprised that it was a bit patchy at first considering how great the other polishes I've tried are, but hey, it's still great. No topcoat, and it can stain a bit.



The Body Shop: Hemp Over Heels - Dirty olive green creme. I call this the colour of green chilis that are pickled in soy sauce. It's an accurate description. Trust me. I initially hated this colour because really, it's not pretty. But it's also different, and I do like different. Two coats, no topcoat. 



Pure Ice: Lucky Charming - Yellow green with gold and green glass shimmers. I bought this in the hopes it was a dupe for my beloved China Glaze Running in Circles. It was not. I was sad. However, I still quite like this polish anyway. Beautiful application, though quite sheer on first coat. This is three coats, and shimmer will get everywhere when you try to take it off. I suggest using some tape and sticking it all around your fingers to get the shimmer off after.



Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear: Mint Sorbet - Mint green creme. A TRUE mint green. None of these "I'm turquoise but companies are gonna call me mint green when I'm not!" Though my pictures make it look a liiittle paler than it is in real life. I blame my camera. Two coats, amazing coverage for a pastel plus nice and creamy. I have noticed it WILL get thick pretty quickly over time which happens with the majority of the Xtreme Wear line, but that's nothing nail polish thinner can't fix.



Pure Ice: Free Spirit - Medium grass green with faint silver shimmers. Pretty good coverage. The silver shimmer shows up more in the bottle than on the nail majority of the time, but oh well. Surprisingly stains the nails. Formula is lovely. This picture is two coats.



China Glaze: S'more Fun - Lime green creme. Why the hell is this called "S'more Fun"? I'd love to know their reasoning behind this name. It's *green*. China Glaze, what you thinkin'? I suppose it's supposed to deal with camping and whatever, but this is not s'more. This is...pea soup. I guess. Two coats, surprisingly good coverage. Formula is great, not too thick or thin.



Hard Candy: Gummy Green - Dusty mint green crelly with silver and black glitter. Is this discontinued? I have no idea. It's been sitting in my drawer for gods know how long. It reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream and that pleases me. I do know it's best to layer this one over a mint green polish because the base is pretty sheer. It's a bit thick, but it may be because my bottle is so old. Sooo, yeah. That's a thing. And if you're anal like I am, you may find yourself pushing the glitters around to get them where you want them. They deposit enough onto the nail, but some adjusting happens. I did three coats for the pictures without top coat to show that it's not 100% smooth. While it's not hard to take off, expect those glitters to get *everywhere*. Three coats.



Maybelline Colorshow: Walk in the Park - Dark bottle green creme. Believe me, it's not as blue as The Body Shop Green and definitely darker. It looks black in dark lighting. Almost a one coat wonder. Two coats in this photo.



Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear: Emerald City - Emerald green jelly with shimmer. Is this one discontinued, too? I have no idea anymore. When I bought this, I thought it was going to be more opaque than what it actually is. But when you build it up, it's super gorgeous. Just don't try using it for gradients. It sucks for that. Though I no longer have this polish anyway. I turned it into a teal frankenpolish. I did three coats for the pictures. 



China Glaze: Watermelon Rind - Blue-based green jelly with green glass flecks. I KNOW this one is still around. At least it is in the Sally's I go to and on nailpolishcanada.com. Since it's a jelly, it's gonna be sheer. Just have to accept that fact. But regardless, it's extremely sparkly and super pretty. Three coats.



China Glaze: Running in Circles - True green jelly with gold and green glass flecks. I saved the best for last. And now I am humming Vanessa Williams. This was limited edition for the Cirque du Soleil collection, and I don't think you can get it unless you get it from eBay or maybe amazon which saddens me. This is my favourite green polish. It's so sparkly and shiny, and while there's still some visible nail line after two coats, three coats is fine.

Hope you enjoyed!

- Lynni

No comments:

Post a Comment